Tuesday, December 7, 2010

:: My Unique Feature - Republish!! ::

I decided to republish this entry because... well, because it's my blog!! hehe.. anyway, for those of you who have read this, thank you so much, for those who havent, feel free to.. 

Take Care!!


(this entry was writen on Nov 19, 2009)


~
~
~
~

No, this is not those kind of post where I ramble about how people are different and everyone has their own unique characteristic and that's what makes the world a better place to live in..

This post is about my birthmark. Yup I have a distinguish birthmark on my right arm.



When I was little, the mark was smaller, rounder and darker (maybe because I was fairer back then). I was somehow conscious about it in school since everyone kept on asking about it. They asked questions like "apa tu?" or "kena air panas ke tu?" or "eh, tangan ko kotor aa.."

A boy called me 'si tompok' at school. Crazy, irritating boy! He would gather his friends and started shouting 'OI SI TOMPOK!!' from across the school field. (OMG! I hated that boy so much!!)

At one point, I wanted to wear long sleeves all the time to cover it. I was tired of hearing questions and remarks about my birth mark. I might have mentioned it to my mom and being a wonderful, beautiful mother that she is, she started telling me how I'm one of the luckiest girl in the whole world because I was born with that mark on my arm.

"Kalau hilang, mak nak cari senang.. takyah cari susah2.. tengok tangan je dah tau anak mak yang mana satu.." she said with that great smile of hers. "Lagipon, mana ada orang lain yang dilahirkan dengan jam.. only u.." she would add. That restored my self esteem. I started drawing numbers and strap on my arm. When anybody asked about my birth mark, I would show them gladly and said "this is my watch. I was born with it!".

My dad, a loving father that he is would hold my arm and 'analyse' the mark and started to tell me how the mark looks like the map of Australia, Singapore or any other country that he can conjure at that moment.

Time passed and I managed to turn a deaf ear to all the remarks about my precious mark. In fact, I have forgotten about it until the day I went to a cabin crew interview with Malaysia's full service airline. After passing all the stages, including the grooming test, after waiting for more than 7 hours, the head interviewer called me up and told me that I would have to surgically remove my birth mark if I really want the job. In my heart, I was cursing him. F him. Never in this lifetime would I remove something I regard as special on my body. So I said to him, its ok, I'm not that desperate. I'm sure other airlines can look beyond my birthmark and notice my potential.

So off I went to another full service airline from Singapore and Dubai. The airline for Singapore accepted me but told me to cover it with foundation or concealer every time before flight. Because of that experience, I 'declared' my birth mark during the early stage of interview with the airline from Dubai. And surprisingly, all I got was a puzzled look. The head interviewer said with raised eyebrows, "So?". An international airline, among the highest paying airline in the world is not even slightly bothered with what everyone else think as a birth defect. I got in despite of the birth mark.

Well, anyway, time passed and once again I sort of forgot about it. I didn't even notice it anymore. And I realize that when I don't think about it, people don't think about it.

But yesterday, when I was in the 'kamar kecil', idly, I looked at my right arm. And realized that I have forgotten about my birth mark! Seriously my heart skipped a beat. As though I was seeing it for the first time. I have forgotten about something that makes me different from anyone else..

So today, I'm appreciating my birth mark again. I'm glad I have it. I'm never gonna be me without it.

Again, after more than 20 years, I'm wearing the watch that I'm born with...


Take care peeps.. Luv ya!

4 comments:

A RAY OF HOPE said...

Salam Apai,

Lama tak dengar berita! Nice to see u started to write again. Btw, even though it's a bit late, but congratulations on your wedding. I hope everything went smoothly.

Come to Christchurch lah for another honeymoon. AirAsia ada direct flight mula April next year. I can setup a simple photo shoot for both of you as a belated wedding gifts, no need to spend thousands...hehe..

Anyway hope to hear from you again.

Amryl

Apai said...

Salam Amryl..
Great to hear from you! thanks for the wish.. everything went well on the day.. it was nothing much but very meaningful to both of us..

i would love to go.. seriously! i will definitely check the airasia flight.. as soon as we get somebody we could trust with the shop.. my husband (his name is farid by the way..) just opened a bundle shop here in setiawangsa.. for now, we take care of the shop ourselves.. u know, since the island is closed for the monsoon.. hopefully we will get everything organised and running smoothly soon so that i can go to your place!! yahooo!!!

u take care.. salam to mimie & thanks for dropping by..

Apai

A RAY OF HOPE said...

Salam,

Jual bundle online lah lagi senang. Marketing cara edar flyers...hehe just my thoughts anyway..btw, do drop by at my new photo blog, the url as follow

http://amrylmalekphotography.wordpress.com/

Regards

Amryl

Apai said...

Salam,

thats what we thought at first.. it didnt work out as well as we thought it would. the we tried bazaar.. worked out great at first but then the dbkl cancelled out licence (without paying back our 3 months rental, mind you) so that didnt work out as well.. now we have our own shop and its doing great. i think, if u were to sell clothes, a physical shop is the best way to go.. because people still wants to feel and try the clothes before they consider buying.. thats just my opinion..

i've dropped by your new blog.. looks great! ur really into photography now huh? u got talent man..

regards,
Apai