Sunday, March 4, 2012

:: Heinz Inspired Baby Food ::

Salam Peeps!

I am an overachiever when it comes to Ziqri. I make sure give the best I possibly can to him. I make sure his clothes are washed with hypo-allergenic detergent (I have asthma so I am very specific and strict about this. I use Pureen), his bottles and cutleries boiled regularly and washed with Liquid cleanser specially for bottles and nipples (I used Pureen too). I make sure he gets the best nutrients and therefore I make sure I breastfeed him exclusively. It was not easy at first, trust me.. But my desire to give the best to my precious, made me try everything under the sun, so that my breasts produce the precious milk. I drink more than 3 litres of plain water everyday, I drink soy, milk, I eat fenugreek, white carrots, I massage my breasts, I pump regularly and most importantly, I pray and ask from God (Ya Allah, murahkan rezeki anakku, banyakkan susuku supaya aku dapat menyusukan sehingga 2 tahun).

So when my pediatrician gave us the green light for solids, I panicked and went straight to Seng Heng and bought myself handheld blender/food-processor (I chose Philips) and electric steamer (I bought Cornell) and then I went crazy looking for babyfood recipes from the ever-trusted Mr Google. I read a lot of sites (I do mean a lot!!) everyday looking for the best and most delicious babyfood recipes, and I stumbled upon great and reliable sites such as http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/ and http://www.askdrsears.com/ and http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/index.html

I tried a few most famous recipes such as Apple+Mango puree, Ziqri refused. Then I tried Potato+Apple puree, again, he refused. I was baffled!  I went out and bought the organic rice powder (without milk) and mix it with my expressed breast milk. Ok. he ate some.. maybe because of the familiar taste of breast milk. My mother advised me to just buy Heinz because she said its a reputable brand for baby food. I refused to give my son store bought food. After a few more attempts I caved in. I gave him Heinz (I buy only organic purees, without milk in the ingredient).. Surprisingly, he ate the food like a hungry bird!

Still wanting him to get the best food he can get, I decided to reproduce Heinz food at home. Heinz is cool enough to specify their exact ingredient on the bottle. For example, Ziqri's most favorite food so far is Pumpkin+Sweetcorn puree. It says on the bottle 63% pumpkin, 24% sweetcorn, water. So I did just that. I steamed the pumpkin and sweetcorn, then I blend it using my ever helpful hand blender. Because of the corn, I then strained it and I froze it in ice cube trays. (And small 'tapai' containers too). I use Tupperware ice cube tray with cover (http://www.amazon.com/Tupperware-Fresh-Pure-Tray-Purple/dp/7213035835). Its amazing! But I heard from their agents, Tupperware has stop the production of those ice trays (boohoo!!).

Ziqri also like Sweet Potato+Carrot+Turnip puree and Banana+Pear puree. 

I store the cubes of food in clearly labelled zip lock bags. My son take about 5 cubes each meal. So I simply take out 5 cubes every morning and store it the normal fridge, when he's ready to eat, I submerge his feeding bowl in hot water (no microwave please). When the water cools, throw it out and fill it again with hot water and submerge the feeding bowl again and so on until the food is thawed. (This is why an airpot is important).




My advice to all mommies, if you are having trouble feeding ur child, try the Heinz recipe. My son prefers the sweet combo. He dislikes the sour combo. Try buying one of each and see which he likes best. Then you can make ur own by referring to the ingredients on the bottle. Because I truly believe the best food is those prepared at home. (And keep on breastfeeding until at least 2 years old because the major nutrients are still derived from breastmilk)

If you are working, like me, make your baby food in bulk, then freeze it. If you buy a big pumpkin, and need to store it after you have done with food making, store the pumpkin in the freezer. It stays fresh longer. (wrap it of course.. you dont want the pumpkin to be smelling like meat and fish after a while).

So there you go. try it! A bit tiring I know but its worth it! Seeing your son eating and grabbing the spoon like a hungry bird is just worth it! You'll be amazed!

Good Luck!


No comments: